ARC Review: Fallen Under by Gwen Hayes

Monday, February 21, 2011


Title: Fallen Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Series: --
Book #: 1
Page #: 336
Release Date: March 1st, 2011
My Rating: 4.5

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.




As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.


And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


Before I started this book, I assumed it would be another take on the Twilight Saga...but, I was very wrong! I was hooked from the very first sentence, and the roller coaster kept my blood pumping throughout the entire book. I was shocked and surprised, and mostly pleased by Gwen Hayes' new novel.

Theia, this book's protagonist, reminded me of a cross between me and my best friend. Although I'm not sure how to pronounce her name, I found her very easy to relate to. The book was a fantastical, yet believable cross between reality and make the make-believe world of  Under.


At first, I found Haden a little creepy. I thought maybe his name was a take on the Greek God of the Underworld, Hades, which gives you a small clue as to what type of creature he is. However, as the story went on, I became more and more and more attracted to the two sides of Haden. He carried the story, creating the changes in Theia and the stomach churning twists and turns that develop in the storyline. Haden was the reason I gave Falling Under a four and a half rating, if it weren’t for him, I would have maybe given it a four.

Overall I only didn't like two parts of the story, but one was small sideline that only began near the end of the book, and the other was a strange twists which was, thankfully, put back to normal in the end. I loved the crazy, exciting, and frightening world Gwen Hayes created in this novel. Good vs. evil is an old plot, but Hayes has revamped it, twisting and turning it into a surprising adventure of love and darkness. Honestly, I can't wait to read it again. This book definitely deserves a four point five mask rating!

.5

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting!