Review: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Monday, October 8, 2012


Title: Something Borrowed
Author: Emily Giffin
Series: Darcy and Rachel

Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancĂ©. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.




You know... the thought of someone having an affair with her best friend's fiance sounds wrong. It sounds like you should not like that person for having awful morals. However, Emily Giffin puts a spin on the story to make you feel happy, giddy, and sorry for the girl. How is that possible?!

I actually watched the movie before I read the book, and they were really different from each other. When I first started the novel, it kind of hurt my head to try and get the actors out of my head when I read them saying their lines. For one thing, Kate Hudson is blond, and Darcy is brunette.

Even though the prospect of a woman cheating with her best friend's fiance is horrific, I was on Rachel's side...most of the time. Half of me was screeching "You two are SO stupid, of course she will find out eventually!" and half of me was giggling about how adorable Dex is.

The two friend's are completely different. Darcy is beautiful, lively, and works as a PR rep., a job she loves. Meanwhile, Rachel buckled down in law school, and ended up at a job she hates, watching her seemingly perfect childhood friend marry the guy of her dreams. Too bad she was the one who introduced the happy couple in the first place...

I'm not entirely sure how I would rate this book on a scale of one to five, because half me loved it, and half of me couldn't care less to continue reading this series. I suppose that was somewhat affected by my complete lack of empathy and understanding for what Rachel was going through, or perhaps the fact that Giffin's writing didn't lead me down a path of connecting with the character. While I was reading the book, I was just reading it. I was in no way transported to their world, eager to become part of their story. I wasn't attached to it, unable to release it from my obsessed grip.

I suppose I would give the book a three, after some thought. It was not a complete and total trainwreck, but it is not going on my fan-girl worthy books list.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see this movie! I'm not sure I'll read the book though. I barely have time to read the books I'm dying to get my hands on, so this one is pretty far down on my to-read list. Thanks for the review, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!